THE CREATIVE POWER OF PHOTOSHOP LAYERS - PART II
Instructor: Bev Pettit
One full month, 2 Lessons, 5 assignments
This is the second course in the Layers series.
One of the most important and useful tools in Photoshop is Layers. If you really want to get creative and manage your workflow it is essential that you understand how layers work and what they
can do for you and your images. In this course we'll have a look at examples, through detailed exercises, of a few of the more useful techniques that photographers can use to get more creative with
their photos. This course is intended to help you get more comfortable with how layers work and give you the tools to go off on your own to experiment further.
It is recommended that you have an understanding of what layers are and how they work in Photoshop CS or one of the newer versions of Photoshop Elements (preferably 8 or above) because we
will not be covering the very basics of working with layers in this course. Photoshop Layers Part 1 or equivalent is a prerequisite for this course.
There will be a six part lesson and two assignments in the first half of the course.
There will be a four part lesson and three assignments in the second half of the course.
This course includes TWO LESSONS with FIVE ASSIGNMENTS.
LESSON ONE: Photo Enhancing Treatments using Adjustment Layers
- The Power of Curves Adjustments
- Adding Soft Focus
- Dodging and Burning Using layers
- Selective Color Enhancements
- Selective Sharpening
- Blurring Depth of Field
LESSON TWO: Layer Effects, Layer Styles and Clipping Layers
- Create a Shadow
- Create a Watermark
- Create a Frame
- Clipping Layers
- The Creative Power of Photoshop Layers (Part 1) class or equivalent is a prerequisite for this course. You need to have a good understanding of what
layers are and how they work in Photoshop CS or one of the newer versions of Photoshop Elements (preferably 8 or above) because we will not be covering the very basics of working with layers
in this course. Please take the Part 1 course first if you have any doubt.
- This course was written using Photoshop CS3 and is compatible with any full version of Photoshop CS or newer. You will need a good working knowledge of Photoshop.
- This course also covers information Photoshop Elements users (preferably 8 or above). Please consider upgrading to Elements 9 which inludes layer masks. Elements users should already have a good general understanding of their version of the software.
- You will need to have a library of photos that you have taken in the past and which you can use for the assignments. Or you may shoot new photos for the class if you wish.
HOW IT WORKS
- On the course start date you will receive an email reminder when the lesson and assignment becomes available on the website.
- This course includes two comprehensive lessons in PDF format with detailed instructions and assignments. You will have two weeks including two weekends to work the assignments.
- After completing each assignment you will upload your photos to the website.
- Your instructor reviews your photos and offers constructive comments.
- You can ask questions and discuss ideas with your classmates.
Includes 2 lessons & 5 assignments
Next session TBA
|Your Instructor: Bev Pettit
Bev earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Minnesota, graduating cum laude in Art Education. After college Bev worked in fine art, technical and art education positions with a stint in teaching photography at a community college in California. Her work has received numerous awards and has been published extensively both in the US and internationally.